Monday, September 24, 2012

Vocab #6


Adroit: clever or skillful in using the hands or mind
            * My dad is very adroit, so he was able to add on to our house.
Amicable: Having a spirit of friendliness
*People find my little sister very amicable
 averse: Having a strong dislike or opposition to something
            *A lot of people have an averse opinion towards religion
Belligerent: hostile and aggressive
            * Many people become very belligerent when they’re drunk
 Benevolent: Well meaning and kindly
            * My moms advice is always benevolent.
 Cursory: Hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed
            * Sometimes my work appears to be cursory when I’m in a rush
 Duplicity: deceitfulness         
                                                          * Many criminals go to jail for their duplicity          
 Extol: praise enthusiastically
            * People at my church begin to extol when the music starts.
 Feasible:  Conveniently
            * Groceries are feasible because I live by a grocery store
 Grimace: twisted expression on a person’s face
            * I grimaced as I watched the gory movie
 Holocaust: mass slaughter or destruction
            * The holocaust was a very tragic event in history
 Impervious: not allowing fluid to pass through
            *My water bottle is impervious so I can carry my water wherever I go.

Impetus: a moving force; impulse or stimulus
            *When someone’s hair is messed up I get an impetus to fix it.
 Jeopardy: danger of loss, harm, or failure
            *After losing a bet, his life savings was in jeopardy
 Meticulous: showing great attention to detail.
            *People with OCD tend to be meticulous with the way they do things.
 Nostalgia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past
            * She had a nostalgia to see her grandma one more time
 Quintessence: the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
            *Royalty is known to be a quintessence.
 Retrogress: go back to an earlier state typically a worse one.
            *When she stopped using her medication her it caused her to retrogress back into depression.
 Scrutinize: examine or inspect closely and thoroughly
            * The manager has to scrutinize job applications
 Tepid: lukewarm
            *She prefers her coffee at a tepid temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment