Monday, February 25, 2013

My Modernist

Picking someone from history to research isn't really my thing, so the first thing i did was Google the small handful listed. I figured that i'd pick based on if anything caught my eye in the first sentence that i had read from their biographies. At first i clicked the few that had a link attached  then as i began to Google the others, one name in particular, caught my eye.


Langston Hughes


I thought to myself, "Wasn't he the one who wrote that swim deep poem on what it was like to attend school as an African American student?" 

I was immediately captivated. Though my plans to journey my history this month of February came to an abrupt halt when i nearly began searching, i love embracing my culture and ancestors. African American poets and writers have always captivated me in ways so deep i can hardly comprehend. Something about the fact of how our history is about how we came from the lowest of the seas and managed to swim to the top and build our own legacy. Something about their struggle . Their pain and confusion. The emotion, captivates me. It draws me in so deep i feel the need to grab hold to something of reality so i can stay afloat. That being said i look forward to searching deeper, unleashing the emotions behind his work that built the meaning in his legacy to get a whole different perspective of understanding about LIFE. . . it captivates me. I'm very much looking forward to this, and i hope to get back to you all very soon. So please...stay tuned. .

No comments:

Post a Comment